Homework Term 4, Week 1

For the first few weeks of the term, our homework will be focused around the work we are doing in our maths groups. Students need to complete the homework task by next Monday – and the task will be explained during maths class.

Basketball and Maths Group: Complete the survey and maths problems at bit.ly/bellbasketball.

Space and Maths Group: Space Week 1 Homework

Dance and Maths Group: Dance Maths Homework Week 1

Zoos and Maths Group: Term 4 week 1 Zoos Maths Homework

Robotics and Maths Group: This week we focussed on using angles to guide Sphero through a few basic shapes. The homework for this week is of students to attempt to create the program for a Sphero to draw a star in a 2m x 2m square. either just jotting down the blocks they would use or creating on one of the free apps and screen shotting it. Macrolab or Sphero EDU are good options.

Remember at it’s max speed 100% or 255 Sphero traveled 10m in 5 seconds.

The focus here is reinforcing that analytical thinking so even if it doesn’t work when we try next week that’s OK.

Paper protractor templates are available in Sarah’s room.

13 comments

1. Hi Aeron,
      Apologies for the delay in responding. It is possible you couldn’t access the link as the students will need to be logged into their google accounts for the link to work. Hopefully Tom was able to access it, but if not, let me know and I’ll look into it further.
      Cheers, Toby

1. Hi Toby,
    Can you explain the maths task for the space group for me? I’m having trouble understanding what I’m supposed to do.

Thanks,
    Sam

1. Hi Sam,

Essentially your task is to create a timetable for a rocket that travels between planets in the solar system. This is a bit of challenging problem solving task, but you can solve it by working through it systematically.

The rocket leaves Mercury at 8am, so the first stop will be Venus. The information you have is that light travels one Astrological Unit (AU) in 499 seconds.

You need to work out the distance between Mercury and Venus – in Astrological Units. The link in the homework will help with this (https://www.universetoday.com/15462/how-far-are-the-planets-from-the-sun/). I’d suggest subtracting the average distance of Mercury from the sun (0.38 AU) from the average distance Venus is from the sun (0.72 AU). This is the distance, in AU, between the planets.

Using this information (and knowing that light travels one AU in 499 seconds), you can then estimate how long it takes light to travel between the two planets (rounding up to the next minute).

Also the instructions explain that the rocket stops for three minutes at the planet. So, for example, if the rocket leaves Mercury at 8:00am, arrives at Venus at 8:10am (this is not correct!), it would then leave Venus at 8:13am.

Next stop, Earth.

I hope this helps.

Make your best attempt at solving the problem!

Cheers
      Toby

1. Hi Josh, It is posted now… Sarah is probably happy to give you a little more time to finish it, if it’s not done by tomorrow (Monday). Cheers, Toby

1. Hi Leo, apologies – I’d labelled the Zoo homework as ‘Dance’, but when you downloaded the file it was actually the Zoo homework. Good luck with it. Cheers, Toby

2. Hi
    For the dance home work how many angles do you have to list? And do you have to write what part it’s in?
    Thanks Ruby Goddard

1. Hi Ruby
      There’s no exact number. Maybe aim for 10 or so? Yes, it would be good to record what time you saw the angles (and describe what they were), so you can share them.
      Cheers, Toby